Hawkshill Down, Between Kingsdown Road and Liverpool Road, Walmer, Kent
A forgotten part of our history, situated on the Southern boundary of Walmer Castle accessible by marked footpaths, this WW1 Aerodrome was opened in 1917 and contributed to the virtual closure of the Dover Strait to German Submarines.
Six pilots from the Royal Naval Air Service were re-located from the Western Front to Walmer to form the Walmer Defence Flight in Spring 1917 and within a few months the numbers of planes and pilots were increased to Squadron level. Walmer became RAF Walmer in 1918.
A guide will be on site to talk you through the interesting history of one of the most important WW1 Aerodromes in East Kent. A brochure with the history will be available and photographs showing the Aerodrome and it’s people will be on display weather permitting. There is a Commemorative Stand giving the history of the Aerodrome in two World Wars located on the site.
Saturday 21 September: 11:00 to 14:00
No booking required
Access is across well maintained footpaths, the whole site is in the open. Via Walmer Castle Gardens for English Heritage Members and Visitors to Castle. Car parking included with entrance charges. Footpath from Kingsdown Road next to the Southern boundary of Walmer Castle. Footpath from Liverpool Road, either at junction with St Clare Road or junction with Grams Road.
Walmer Parish Council
Date last modified: 1st August 2019 at 09:53